Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving With Family

Here I am requesting prayer...

For those who aren't New Hopers, and don't know what we're doing for Thanksgiving, I'd like to fill you in for just a minute. A couple of weeks ago, Jon and I were talking about our plans for Thanksgiving, which were to go to my parents house and hang out with the fam. for the day. I had been having this feeling for awhile like maybe we should invite a family that we had met at Kingdom Meal to share the day with our family. The more we talked about it, the harder it became to narrow down who the invitation would go to. So, we decided we would run it by our family - who all gave the idea two thumbs up - and just hand out a general invitation to the guests who come each week to Kingdom Meal. We did just that, and it turns out that 59 people have signed up to come!! WOW!

That means a couple of different things for me. First, it means that 59 people we know and love don't have anything else to do on that day. Maybe they have no family. Maybe they have no money. Maybe they've lost loved ones. Maybe they are lonely. Maybe they don't have a home. Maybe, maybe, maybe so many things. It breaks my heart. But, second, it means that 59 people that I have spent the last 6 months getting to know and love, trust and love Jon and I enough to get in our car, drive out of Youngstown, and spend their holiday with us. That is a very humbling idea to me.

We sent the word out to our church (where this now quite large get-together will be held) and people have really stepped up to participate through their attendance, through donations, and through their amazing cooking abilities. Even though all of New Hope won't be directly involved, it feels like it is a great bonding experience (for lack of a better term), and I'm excited to see the fire lit under others in the community.

I'm so glad that God laid this idea on our hearts, and that we were obedient (as often I am not). PLEASE pray with us that He will be seen and that through us, His love will shine. I believe He wanted to us to do this for a reason - for His Kingdom.

We'll take some pictures, and let you all know later how it goes. This is exciting!

6 comments:

Jan Russell said...

Wow is right! Prayers that tomorrow will be a blessing to everone around the table(s)

nick mucci said...

keep being the Kingdom...you guys are great...i wish you were out here workin with us ;)

Birdie said...

Sean Ferrier's car is loaded, Ang! Tons of turkey and desserts and bread and rolls that were left over from our diner. Probably stuffing and potatoes also. Hope you all are hungry. Have fun. Wish I could be there!

vic said...

I'm praying that God smiles on every part of today.

Thanks for being the answer to so many prayers!

Chel said...

I hope everything went well...

PRS & ALS said...

What an amazing and fun day we had sharing dinner with new friends. I mainly hung out with three teens/young adults, two brothers and a sister. They were so fun and open and they loved to sing and dance. Right up my alley! I also had the opportunity to share some conversations on a deeper level. I had only met them once before but was amazed at how open they were and how they just accepted me as part of their family. Thanks for the opportunity.

Amy