Thursday, May 14, 2009

Caleb: Creative and Climbing

Yesterday was the first of what will be many school art shows that we attended for Caleb. We were incredibly proud of him!! It took him a very long time to decide he wanted to create actual shapes and objects when he drew or colored. He was a scribbler for so long. I almost began to wonder if he was ever going to be physically capable of drawing a person or coloring in the lines. Now, I know abstract art is beautiful, and I very much appreciate that. But, I was wondering if he had the patience in him to sit down and draw a real object. Eventually he did, and we were so proud of him! (We were proud of him before that, but...you know what I mean!) So, yesterday when we got to attend his art show - which he was SUPER proud of - we got to see a few examples of his amazing creativity, his abstract work, and his ability to draw objects and pictures. Here are a few pictures from the event...

All the kids in his class worked together to make this class quilt
These are his teachers, Miss Kreiger and Mrs. Watson - he loves them!
We've never seen him draw a scene like this - we LOVED it!
Scrap Box Art
"Beautiful Bug"

Aside from being artistically creative, he has also become quite talented in the art of climbing and jumping. Johnny's new bed is a car bed, complete with a sun roof. Both boys love climbing to the top and finding the most fun way back down. Caleb's favorite way of getting down is by jumping from the top of Johnny's car half way across the room onto his own bed, nearly cracking his head on the ceiling along the way. He literally looks like a flying squirrel when he does this. I need to get some pictures! :) Also, we have a tree outside in our front yard, and over the past year he has gotten braver and braver as he watches the bigger kids head up to the top. Yesterday was the highest he's ever climbed, and he was pretty thrilled about it. He made it up to the same height as his buddy Jameer, who is a super climber. Here are a couple pictures of them way up high...(and Johnny down a but lower)
I came home from running some errands today without the kids, and when I got inside, Jon said he had something to tell me, and proceeded to say that he was glad I hadn't been home because I would have freaked out. So, I'm wondering what happened, of course. Jon said Teddy, one of the kids from next door ran over and said, "Caleb's on the roof!" When Jon asked him if he meant on top of their little play house, Teddy said no, and pointed to the back yard. Apparently Jon got to the back and found Caleb perched - with Jameer - on top of the garage roof, throwing leaves and sticks down into the yard. He said Jameer taught him how to climb onto the wagon, scale the 6 foot fence and proceed up to the roof of the garage. Well, Jon was right, I was glad I wasn't home to see that. I'm proud of him for having the guts to do such a thing, but...oh boy!! I guess that's what having an adventurous kid is all about. Hopefully it will be a LONG TIME before I have to blog about one of the kids' first broken bones. Oh, and I don't have any pictures of him on the roof, sorry!

5 comments:

PRS & ALS said...

Caleb is following in his uncles' footsteps! And thankfully they never got any broken bones from their adventures. But I don't think they started climbing that high at that young an age.

Momma

Jeff and Serena said...

Loved the art work!!

Oh, and I'm a little nervous, is this what I have to look forward to??? :)

Mella said...

Whoa! That artwork is great! Quite a little talent you have there (not surprising at all...) =)

Sam said...

So totally awesome that Caleb is so adventerous. So many kids his age seem like frightened little bugs. It's great to see that your kids are NOT like that.

Dave and Betsy's Blog said...

I just realized I never commented on Caleb's art. IT IS GREAT!!! I can't believe he can do that already. How great is that?

Anyways, I miss you guys a bunch. No lie. You guys rock and I wish I could hang out, or play cards, or play x-box, or build a house with Jon, or whatever. I miss you guys.

Peace out.
Dave