Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Week - Part 2

So, last week ended so well for me – or it was the start of a good week…or both – I’m never sure if Sunday is the beginning of one week or the end of another. Anyway, last Sunday was such a great one.

Jon and I had done music for the Saturday evening gathering, so it was great to be able to go into the 2nd Sunday gathering just relaxed and ready to be with friends. I felt like I needed to be “doing something”, though, so I found myself helping my good friend out in the kitchen with the coffee stuff. We didn’t get much cleaning done, but we did get a lot of good conversation in. It’s so cool to me that God just works in so many ways. I went to the gathering as a form of worship, and was expecting to take part in singing, listening to the teaching, being in on it all, but my worship came in the form of friendship that morning. It wasn’t planned, but it was so great.

A few hours after that gathering, Jon and I dropped our kids off with a couple of teens (thanks, girls!) and headed to Kingdom Meal Ministry. On the way we saw our very first car chase. It wasn’t as super-speed exciting as I imagined. In fact, the car was going fairly slow – maybe 30 MPH…we thought maybe whoever was in the car was stalling while “things” were being hidden. There were 3 cop cars chasing at first, then 1 more marked car spun around to join the chase, and then an unmarked car turned a quick right to get in on the action. I know it shouldn’t have been cool, ‘cause this is someone’s sad life, but it was kind of cool. Oh, Youngstown, how we love you!

About 30 seconds after we saw this, we saw some girl with her car stuck out in the middle of the busy road waiting to turn out of the booze drive-thru. “Is she EVER gonna go?” I thought. As I pulled up close, it turns out her car was stuck. So, we pulled over and figured out how to get her car out of the middle of the road. She’d run out of gas, and people had been honking, flipping her off and driving past her for 5 minutes, she said. That’s not a long time in actuality, but it must have felt like forever – poor girl. She couldn’t get a hold of her dad and had no idea what to do. So, we left her there, and took a trip to the gas station to get a can, and bring it back to fill her up. She was grateful. I saw myself in her, a bit. Scared – knowing she needed help, but not knowing what to do or who to ask. We were glad we drove by.

Kingdom Meal was great. I talked for a long time with a girl in her early 20’s who is 7 months pregnant with her first (and last, she claims) baby. The baby has some serious problems with his liver, and he’s already on a donor list, and will need a lot of work – and prayer. She was so cool and calm about it all, and I couldn’t quite figure out why or how. She knew that she was doing all she could, and that this child is just not in her hands right now. It seems like she has a good grasp on how life should be as followers of Christ. We do our part, but ultimately, things are in God’s hands, and we just have to trust that He will do His part – and we just trust and obey.

Jon told me that he was talking to one of the other guests, a woman named Renee, and she started quoting scripture for him. She said, “The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want….” She went on a little more, looking to Jon for approval. She paused for a moment, and Jon said, “That’s great!” She said, “Yeah, that’s the shit, right?!” I love that. And she’s right! J

After Kingdom Meal, we went to pick up our kids at New Hope. Youth Group was getting out, and some of the parents and leaders were around, so a big group of people ended up at our house for a fire afterwards. It was spontaneous, and just so much fun. It was what community was all about. My house wasn’t very clean (which stressed Jon out a little), but no one cared. A couple friends and I just stood around and did dishes for the first 25 minutes or so. Then we all shared a meal together, and had s’mores and Coronas (not the teens) around the fire. We even had a marshmallow fight – and it was awesome! It was just plain and simple fun…with friends who feel a lot like family. I guess they are family.

So, Sunday was a great day that ended a great week - or started another great week…I don’t know. I’m gonna say something I never imagined I’d say – I LOVE OHIO! There it is. I said it. I may never say it again, but it’s true.

2 comments:

dave said...

hey there angela!

thanks for checking in! i'm glad to see you have a blog as well. this will definitely help me keep up with you guys. it sounds like all is going well. tell your hubby i said hello!

dave

PRS & ALS said...

Ang,

It was so good to catch up on reading your blogs. Our internet has been down and I've missed what you have to say. Even though I see you on a regular basis, I get new insight and perspective into your life by reading your stuff.

I love you. And your whole family.

You are an amazing woman and an inspiration to me!

Love, Mom