Saturday, August 30, 2008

Another Jon-ism...and more!

Jon's not technically employed at the moment, so he's started doing some odd jobs for people. At the moment he's doing a kitchen floor at a friend's house. So, two days ago Jon called me and said, "I was driving away from Sean and Becca's house, and when I turned the corner I heard a sound like metal falling to the ground. I think I might have left the hinges to their door on the hood of the Jeep, but I'm not sure." Turns out, he did just that. Yesterday he decided it was time to replace them, so he hopped in the Jeep to go to Lowes so he correct his very Jon-like mistake...only an $8 mistake. As he was driving to Lowes to replace what had fallen off the hood of the Jeep, he noticed out of the rear-view mirror something fall, then he heard a loud crash. He had left an 8 foot long - that's right, I said 8 FOOT LONG piece of trim on top of the Jeep, and it fell off as he was picking up speed. Fortunately it fell to the side of the road, and didn't injure anyone or any cars. Seriously, though, who wouldn't notice an 8 foot long piece of wood on top of their car - that they had JUST put there??

I mentioned in a prior post how Youngstown is like Kenya in a lot of ways. Well, one way that our home reminds us of our four months in Kenya is that we have no dishwasher - except the one named Angela. Occasionally I let the pile of dishes get kind of out of control...like in this picture. An hour and a half later, all the dishes were clean, though - including the red cups (which we wash to save money - budget's kinda tight these days!). Notice how everything is very strategically stacked. I'm good! :) A few months ago I told a friend of mine that she had a great rack. She looked at me quite puzzled and a little frightened, but I reassured her that all I meant was that I liked her large, and spacious dish rack. I think it's time to upgrade.

Jon and I spent two nights and three days last weekend in Niagara on the Lake in Ontario for our five year anniversary. It was a gorgeous small town - maybe the cutest place we'd ever been to. Our B&B was amazing ('Old Town Country Landing', for those looking for a great get-away.), and the time there was just perfect. We headed to the Falls for one evening, and it was spectacular. We also got in some good people watching, as people come from all over to see the Falls. This is our favorite picture...even the Amish (or Mennonite - not sure which they are) come out to see the Falls. I don't blame them for wanting to see such an incredible view of God's awesome creation!

Johnny and Caleb have been training pretty hard lately to become super heroes. Caleb, in particular, actually thinks he's Spiderman. I think Johnny's Captain America. Either way, they're always on the hunt to destroy the bad guys. Caleb asked me yesterday with a very serious ready-to-save-the-day face if Boobie Trap was here yet. He's a bit confused, but I think his intentions are good.

4 comments:

Chel said...

She does have a nice rack! HA HA!

I think those guys are Amish, b/c of the haircuts!

I am so glad you guys had an awesome trip, every couple needs to do that to re-charge the parenting and marriage! It is WAYYYY cheaper than therapy!'
Luke used to try to be Buzz Lightyear!

Unknown said...

I really wish homecoming was this weekend! I miss you guys so much and the pictures are just too cute (I of course mean the Amish j/k). I hope you are well!

Birdie said...

We creative types are too busy thinking about our next creativity that we don't have time to think about hinges and eight foot trim on the roof of our vehicles. Although, giving myself the wrong amount of medication because I'm wondering what my next post should be about could be deadly. Somewhere there must be a balance. Until then, enjoy the next song Jon writes. It only cost $8.

Sam said...

Oh Jon, Oh Jon.

As for the talk of utensil-holders, being the dishwasher of my house I appreciate your love of a nice rack. Essential hardware!