Wednesday, July 2, 2008

He uses ME??

For as long as I can remember I have struggled with self-esteem issues - in many different areas of my life, and for various reasons. One of the ways I get down on myself is thinking that I am just pretty useless, and that God can't really use me. I have a degree in "nothing" (Liberal Arts, actually, but that translates to "nothing" in my world), I'm not specialized in anything, I have no career path, etc., etc. So, I said to a friend lately that I need to start writing down times when I feel God has used me in a situation. I guess here is just as good a place as any, right? Then maybe I can expound on some of these places I have seen God at work through me. Here's what I can come up with:

1. In my everyday life I am a stay-at-home mom raising three young children - it's a tough "calling", but most days I really love it.

2. My brother and I kind of started a "Moms plus Dave" group that meets at the mall play area every Wednesday at 9:30am. We see needy and lonely moms and invite them to come back next week, so they won't be in it alone anymore - at least for one morning a week.

3. Jon and I are leading music at New Hope for the two Sunday gatherings. It's something I really enjoy, and music is an incredible way for me to connect with God. It's great to be a part of helping others connect, as well.

4. We have broken the barrier between ourselves and our awesome neighbors. Literally, actually. We decided together to tear down part of the fence separating our yards so that we can share space - gardens, playgrounds, toys, etc.

5. This past Sunday I participated in the Kingdom Meal Ministry at the Salvation Army in Youngstown, and I was immediately hooked. Relationships were made that were truly gifts from God. He was present this past week, and I know He will be again as we gather together this Sunday. I'm excited to see that unfold!

Again, it's weird writing this stuff which seems like it's about myself. But, honestly, I give all the praise to God for choosing to do His thing. He's awesome! I can't believe He uses normal, low self-esteem, graduated with a degree in nothing kind of people to do His work. It's very cool! I praise Him. I thank Him, and He's got a good list going through me. What's He doing through your life? It's certainly something good.

"He who began a good work in you, will be faithful to carry it to completion."

10 comments:

*Chewning Momma* said...

Ang! Yeah- you started a blog. Im so excited! :)
And just so you know, I love you and know that God has used you in my life many times. To be there for me, encourage me, lift me up, etc...
You are a blessing!!!!
love you

vic said...

Ditto! In the short time I've known you, God has used you numerous times as an encouragement to me.

Glad to see you posting!

Dave and Betsy's Blog said...

Cool Ang! You rock, for sure.
By the way everyone... Ang seeks out the desperate and lonely women, NOT ME! I'm there to support Ang and so JJ can play with Jonny (and so we can have a cool name for the group).
Blessings sis.
Dave

Paul Dazet said...

Ang,
Awesome post! Welcome to the world of blogging. BTW - The guy from Kingdom Meal called me and told me that you and John were Godsends last Sunday night. Thanks for being open to God's Lordship.

Peace,
Paul

Steve and Judy said...

Hey Ang,

I'm so glad you are blogging. And don't ever feel God is not using you. You are an awesome woman as well as a wonderful mom and wife. You and your family (Grandma's dear ones)are loved and prayed for daily. We love you. Come see us!

Aunt Judy

Chel said...

Kudos Ang! On starting the blog... I have one, but it is very poor, and pretty impersonal, I a have a bit of a problem sharing for the world to see, so I usually post pretty goofy thoughts, I am trying to get more authentic in this area of my life.
What a cool idea on the mom (and Dave) group!
I have been where you are at, and I feel like you are taking your point in life in your hands and allowing God to use you right where you are at. I have spent a lot of times , thinking "when this time is over, I will allow myself to be used, I'm too busy right now" I Love that you are just getting right in every area of your life and being open to how it will be used! Taring down fences! AMAZING!

Ok, you gave me a little bravery , go read my blog later, I will write about my Kent State University experience yesterday...and my degree to "nowhere?"

Love Ya!

*Austin Mommy* said...

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I promise I wasn't fishing for it, but it is a welcome blessing from each of you. I'm looking forward to being more vulnerable about life and what we go through. We are all real people with real struggles, and real victories. I have been encouraged to share but of those areas of life, and more, with those I love - you guys! So, thanks again. Beth, I didn't realize how close our blog names were...stars and all! :)

PRS & ALS said...

Ang,

You are amazing. I am so proud of you and how you are being used by God right where you are as well as outside your "comfort zone". I love you.

Mom

Dave and Betsy's Blog said...

Ang -

Great post and welcome to the blogging world. We look forward to hearing more from you. I've told you this already but I've always enjoyed your writing. It is pretty weird to make yourself vulnerable in this way but I have found it to be very freeing and it can be very encouraging for others. We love you and are proud of you!

Bets

RealtorShelley said...

Hi Ang, Love the blog... and I especially loved the way you handled your first encounter with Annette -loving andpersistent! Now THAT'S great ministry, in my eyes! You GO girl!