Thursday, July 24, 2008

My Favorite Big Guy

My sister-in-law and wonderful friend Betsy always refers to her husband Dave as her favorite big guy, and her son JJ as her favorite little guy. I like that! Well, Jon happens to be my favorite big guy – for many reasons. One of the things that I love about Jon is that he makes me so happy, and he really makes me laugh…a lot of times without even trying.

Jon’s what some might call “accident prone”. If there’s something around to bang your head on, leave it to Jon…and not just once or twice, but each time he goes near this object. You’d think he’d learn after the first time, but no, not Jon! It’s pretty much a daily occurrence – too many to try and explain. Just about every time (and I’m not exaggerating by saying just about every time) we sit down to eat something, he’ll drip food on his pants, or spill his coffee down his shirt. It just always seems to be something, and it never seems to get any less funny!

A couple fun examples:

  • I called Jon at work yesterday around lunch time just to check in and chat. He said something along the lines of, “UGH! I’m so embarrassed. I’m at the Mocha House which is packed today, and I just picked up the ketchup to put some on my sandwich. When I went to shake it, I realized too late that the lid wasn’t on tight, and the cap came flying off and ketchup went EVERYWHERE! I look like I just got stabbed in the chest!” For some reason, I wasn’t really surprised to hear that story – this is just pretty typical!
  • Jon used to work for a construction company. At one sight they kept their equipment in a locker. He closed the locker, locked it up with the key, and then realized he’d forgotten to put something in it. So, he went to open the locker back up and could not find the key anywhere. He looked…and looked…and looked…and looked – for 15 minutes (seriously) – he had JUST used the key. After all that time searching everywhere, he finally realized he’d put the key between his teeth while he was getting his stuff together, so as NOT to lose it. Only Jon…
  • A couple weeks ago we had friends over and we had made a fire in the backyard. We sat around and chatted then decided to make s’mores. So, everyone’s got their marshmallows toasting – including Jon. Jon’s marshmallow lit on fire, so he brought the stick up to blow the flames out. He clearly misjudged how far away his face was from the end of the stick, and he put the flaming hot, molten marshmallow right on his nose, singeing it. He was okay, but there was a nasty bubble and then a mark on his nose for nearly a week. I love this guy!

9 comments:

Scott Couchenour said...

That's so sad.

Birdie said...

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha! Hee, Hee, Hee! Aaauuugghhh! Ha! (serious funny stuff)

Anonymous said...

Oh Jon, how I've missed you!

vic said...

Being a first-hand witness to the marshmallow incident, I wish I could have chosen which event to watch. It would be a toss up between ketchup and key, but I'd have to go with key, for sure...

The marshmallow incident just served to make observers feel bad for him - as the smell of burning nose hair filled the air.

Love you - never a dull moment - guys!

Chel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chel said...

HaHa!! I can relate John, I never wear white, because I am always spilling things on me!!!! (yesterday I went through two shirts!) Since I've known you you've ended up on crutches during an event we were all at together (old mans soccer team- and you were one of the young guys!) Be careful friend!
Oh, and the pregnancy test picture, funny stuff! Your hair looks great, Ang!

Dave and Betsy's Blog said...

Jon, you are the man. No doubt. To Jon's defense, when we were working on that church together for a couple weeks, we both made it out of there injury free. Well done Jon.

PS. I've had my own issues with marshmallows. Those things are deadly.

-Dave

Unknown said...

That is hysterical!!! I do feel bad but at least he's still ok after all this accident prone time! I miss you guys so much!

Sam said...

Oh Jon. I think I like you even more now.