Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Moms Plus Dave

My brother Dave is a stay-at-home Dad. I am a stay-at-home Mom. Dave lives in New Waterford - out in the boondocks. I live 30 minutes away in Boardman – the center of things around here. Dave and I and our families, plus our parents, all lived together until April, so naturally, now that we are living apart, I miss being a stay-at-home parent with my brother. And, our kids miss each other, too – most days. So, we decided that we would meet up at the mall once a week so we could hang out and our kids could play at the play-place together. It ended up being on a Wednesday a few weeks in a row, so we just decided to make it official – Wednesdays at 9:30, play time for everyone! One week I invited my friend Stacy. Thus officially formed the “Moms Plus Dave Group”. Stacy and I began talking with other moms who would show up, and we found out that there are lots of moms out there who are lonely and doing this mom thing with little or no support. So, while Dave hung back (not wanting to appear as though he was hitting on the moms), Stacy and I were spreading the word to moms here and there about how we meet regularly, and they’re welcome to come hang out, too. So, we met Leanne and her son Chase, Heather and her daughter Nevaeh, Laura and her son Colin, Kathy and her son Conner, Michelle and her daughter Ellie, and others who have come back once, or have yet to come back. Also, our friend Erin from church started coming, and my neighbor and friend Lisa has been coming regularly. It’s been pretty great!

Today was my favorite day, so far, I think. Dave and Stacy weren’t able to be there (no, that’s not why today was my favorite), but Leanne and Chase, Erin and Emma and Eric, Lisa and Alex and Lilly, Michelle and Ellie, my mom, and me and Johnny and Hannah (Caleb was at school) were all there today. This was actually the first time I’d met Michelle. I’d seen her the past two weeks, but she always came and read a book or talked on the phone while her daughter played. Today we finally talked, and she told me that Ellie has a twin who has cerebral palsy, and that she and Ellie come to the mall and wait while the other daughter gets her muscle therapy. It was amazing that Michelle was so open with a mom she had just met. To me that showed how needy we moms (and dads) are for interaction and camaraderie. I asked a couple of the moms how their mornings had been up until the mall time. They said, “Oh, pretty good” and other similar comments. Then I said, “My morning sucked!” I explained a bit about how I had gotten so frustrated and yelled at the boys, and swore under my breath. After I shared about that, it was amazing how all the other moms were in agreement about they are the same way. They all get frustrated and sometimes act irrationally and yell really loud. I was telling them that I was sure Lisa heard me yelling this morning (she’s my next door neighbor). Lisa said, “Well, if you haven’t heard me yet, then I’ll never hear you, ‘cause I yell loud!” Another mom then mentioned how it was nice to know they were not the only one who went through this. It was pretty cool to take off my “everything is fine” mask and just be real with these other moms about how my day had been so far. I think it was a bonding moment for us all this morning. Leanne suggested that we all get together with our spouses sometime soon and have a “potluck cookout”, where we all pitch in and have a meal together. What a great idea! She and her husband have not been in the area too long, and they’re looking to make friends. I’m so excited to see this group become closer, and really get to know each other. God is pretty cool to bring people together the way that He has. Moms Plus Dave Group rocks! :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so jealous of malls with play areas! What a great way to reach out to other SAHM's who need these connections to keep their sanity. I love when other mom's are transparent and open - I think it's great that you were able to be vulnerable! And I'm glad our neighbors aren't as close now that we've moved, because well...I yell too - lol.

Scott Couchenour said...

Maybe I'll quit my job and join Dave to give him some company. (Course, it might be awkward bringing my 16 and 19 year olds to the playplace).

Seriously, the pot luck thing? Great stuff!

PRS & ALS said...

Ang,
I'm loving being part of the Mom's plus Dave group, as the resident grandma. The week I didn't come I really missed it. Not only does it give me a chance to see Johnny and Hannah, but I love the interaction of the kids and parents. Maybe, just maybe, I can start feeling a bit braver and start talking to some of the other grandmas who come with their grandkids. You are an inspiration to me.

mindy said...

Hey Angela!

Yay for blogs! I just found yours on the Scott Spot the other day and have really really enjoyed reading your posts.

I have to say that Playgroups are the BEST! We have one that meets 3-4 times a week here on post…and since we’re in the middle of nowhere Germany, it is one of the few things that has helped me remain somewhat sane. =) Just being able to fellowship with other parents is SUCH a blessing.

I’m so glad to hear I’m not the only one who gets frustrated and yells! =) Too bad we live in an apartment complex…my neighbors probably think I’m Jekyll and Hyde the way I go from squealing “Great Job sharing your toys!” to yelling “DO NOT PUSH YOUR BROTHER – So help me boy!!” the next. =)

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I’m enjoying your blog!

Smiles,
Mindy, Luke and Will

Dave and Betsy's Blog said...

One of the best things I ever did when I was staying at home with JJ full-time was be around other moms. At first I thought I didn't need it. I thought "I can do this thing on my own." That was just not true. It's nice to have some solidarity; it helps us realize we are not crazy and alone in our experiences and gave me great advice for taking care of JJ! I think what you're building is awesome!! And I love that Dave isn't afraid to be a part of it. They do need to change the names of parent groups (like from "Mommy and Me"), so I love your adaptation!